September 29, 2004

au revoir, Expos, et bonne chance

It should be announced today that the Montreal Expos will be relocated to Washington, D.C. for the 2005 season. I'm a Jays fan myself, but as a Canadian baseball fan, I must say I'm sad to see them finally go.

The franchise has been on life support for the last few years, and attendance has dwindled down to just a few thousand a game. It's easy to forget that Montreal used to be a great baseball town, and fielded some awfully good teams over the years. Who knows how far they would have gone in 1994 if the season had not been aborted in the name of the almighty dollar – they had the best record in baseball at the time.

I'm a big fan of a web site called Baseball Prospectus. It's some of the best online baseball content available, put together by a great group of people who have an all-consuming passion for the game. It's a pay site, but there are a couple of free articles every day. One of the guys is a Montreal fan, and said goodbye in this article far more eloquently than I could possibly hope to.

Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Alright, I'm not setting up an account just so I can post a comment - that's how they reel you in! I like your blog and I hope you keep posting in it.

As for the Expos... well, I have to say I'm very pleased that they're coming to DC, but that's because I'm in DC and I want an NL team here. Now I can see the Braves play without going to Atlanta! Hey, we all have our priorities.

~ Sherene

11:23 a.m.