September 26, 2004

procrastination is expensive

Here's a little story about how procrastination can end up costing you in the end.

I rented a car this weekend. My plan was to visit my friend in Quispamsis on Friday night, then drive from there to Minto (where my parents live) on Saturday morning. It was a relatively simple plan, as plans go. All the plan really required was for me to pack a bag for the weekend sometime before leaving Friday night.

I somehow managed not to do this.

I played tennis on Thursday night (losing every set, IIRC) and was tired and stiff once I got home. I didn't feel like packing a bag. Friday morning came, I snoozed until I didn't have time to pack a bag before work. Since I was only going to get to spend a few hours with my friend, I came up with a new plan sometime Friday morning. I would drive back to Moncton late Friday night, get up early on Saturday, pack the bag, and drive to Minto. Sounded like a good plan at the time.

The new plan was working great until I started getting really tired on the drive home.

People that don't know me (and some who do) should note the following:
  • I fell asleep at the wheel two years ago and wrecked my car.
  • I was 90 minutes into a 100-minute drive at the time.
  • I knew I was tired but pushed myself to make it home.
Conversing with myself in the car about whether I should try to make it home, I decided to stop in Sussex and get a motel room for the night.

$92.

A little thing called procrastination, my friends. It always gets you in the end (and I'm sure it will again).

Comments: