September 28, 2004

Sprite is to lemon/lime as Fresca is to...

...grapefruit, apparently.

I'm going to rant for a bit.

I'm going to see Shaye in concert with Symphony Nova Scotia in Halifax in a couple of weeks. The show is going to completely rock. I really can't wait.

I ordered the tickets over the phone – I live three hours away from Halifax, so it wasn't really convenient to drop in to the box office. The tickets came in the mail the other day, and when I opened the envelope, I found another envelope inside (containing the tickets) with a sticker bearing the following notice:

--
RESPECTING YOUR PRIVACY IS IMPORTANT TO US

Thank you for purchasing tickets at the Arts Centre Box Office. Some promoters/production companies would like to keep you advised of upcoming performances and activities, including some fundraising activities. As their box office agent, we provide such companies with mailing lists comprised of patrons who recently purchased a ticket for their event. If you prefer not to be included in such a contact list, please let us know, by marking the box below, and dropping it off at the Box Office, or by contacting the Box Office at 902-494-3820.
--

Buh?

Dear Dalhousie Arts Centre,

Thank you so much for giving me the option of calling you long distance or dropping in to your conveniently located box office. I suppose it would have been inconvenient for your clerk to ask me on the phone whether I wanted my personal information shared with someone else. I suppose I should thank my lucky stars I was given the option to opt out at all. Sorry to have bothered you.

I'm pretty sure I can find a toll-free number to opt out, but that's so not the point. This is standard procedure now. At least Dal is giving me the option; I ordered Sarah McLachlan tickets from admission.com several months ago, and in the confirmation email, I was informed that the act of ordering the tickets constituted consent to having my address added to targeted mailing lists. It so does not.

I'm half tempted to let them send me their crap just for spite, but it's really not worth the time it would take to drop it from the mailbox to the trash can immediately under the mailbox. I know this is a small annoyance in the grand scheme of things, but this kind of thing pisses me off.

This concert had better completely rock.

Comments: