September 2, 2005

New Orleans is sinking

I'll never hear that song in the same way again.

Wikipedia has a good summary of the events so far. I've heard bits and pieces over the last few days, and I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize quite how bad until I read this article. I find my thoughts dwelling not on the people who've lost their lives, their homes, and their peace of mind, but on the assholes who see a disaster of this magnitude as an opportunity to line their pockets and do whatever the hell they want because they can finally get away with it. Police were being distracted from search-and-rescue efforts to deal with looting and violence. What the hell is wrong with people?

On a happier note, Johnny 5 is back in Moncton, on a one-year term contract at ACOA. John's always good for some laughs, and pads my "single friend" total by a significant percentage.

I'm getting ready for a weekend of mostly staying in (and probably playing poker online) as tens of thousands of people descend on Moncton for a huge outdoor concert headlined by the Rolling Stones. My brother and a friend are crashing with me for the weekend and I don't get to see him that often so that should be cool.

I'm continuing a pattern of staying up too late this week. Tonight it was another poker tournament and then the urge to blog. It's always something. I must now put on Conan and fall asleep. Final thought, courtesy of The Vanity Project, whose album I have still not reviewed: "Summer feels like a lover leaving, Oh / Don't go" - fitting for the first of September.

Now Playing: JSB, The Rebirth of Hooch
Current Mood: sleepy

Comments: